Re: home path for cygwin 1.7.9 is acting funny

On 10/25/2011 11:13 AM, Matthew Smith wrote:
I installed to "c:\personal\cygwin" on my windows xp machine.

If I open a command prompt and type "echo %HOME%", I get "C:\Documents
and Settings\Matt"

If I then start an ssh connection from DOS (not the Cygwin program), I
get an error at the beginning of the connection initiation that states
"Could not create directory 'C/.ssh'."

This means that I can never save the certificate of the server I
always ssh to so I always have to manually accept the connection.

Here's the really odd thing:  If I start cygwin in another window and
then come back to my regular dos screen and run the ssh connection
again, I don't get this error.  If I re-examine the %HOME% path in the
DOS window while cygwin is running, it still looks the same.

I have searched exhaustively on this topic and the one solution that
keeps coming up is to make sure your /etc/passwd file inside of cygwin
points to the home path.  Mine seems to because my entry ends with:
":/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/matt:/bin/bash"

Mount your path above as /home/matt, update your '/etc/passwd' file, and try again. Spaces in paths are likely causing you to trip and fall.

--
Larry