RE: cygwin permissions problem on a network drive

On October 21, 2011 4:36 PM Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Oct 21 16:13, Lemke, Michael  SZ/HZA-ZSW wrote:
>> >
>> >Then "noacl' is the only way for you.
>>
>> Unless I wait for the next release, right?
>
>No.  If you don't want to get a "Permission denied" error messages every
>time some application tries to change the permissions, you will have to
>use "noacl".  It seems you don't understand what "acl" vs. "noacl" is
>for.  Does reading the User's Guide at
>http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table help?

No, that's not my problem.  I am fine with the error message, it's
correct after all.  The real problem with 1.7.9 is that I can't create
files although the permissions allow me to.  And that seems to be fixed.

>> >Check with your admin and ask how they make sure that you can't set
>> >permissions.  Did they just create a certain set of inheritable
>> >permissions or do they use some policy?  That is what I'd like to know.
>>
>> I don't have a definitive answer yet but it looks like it's a
>> policy.  In Windows Explorer I have Full Access for the top level
>> dir.  That is inherited by every subdir and files.  But the security
>> entry is greyed out, also for subdirs.
>
>Ok, so there is some sort of policy.  It would be nice to get some
>"how to set up a share policy which doesn't allow changing permissions
> for dummies" :)

I'll see if I can get more from our admins.

Michael