Re: Problem w/ gdb 7.3.50-2 under emacs

On 13/10/2011 1:33 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
On 17/09/2011 8:51 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 9/13/2011 11:48 PM, Bill Priest wrote:
All,
       I updated gdb to 7.3.50-2 and I can no longer run M-x gdb under
emacs inside rxvt (gdb core dumps).  Reverting back to 7.3.50-1 and it
works.  The executable being debugged is built with gcc 4.5.3 and gdb
under rxvt and ddd works.  Running M-x shell (/bin/sh) gdb also works.
  Running M-x gdba fails identically  to M-x gdb.  The odd thing is
that after "Reading symbols ... done" nothing is typed and the
"Debugger segmentation fault (core dumped) occurs w/o typing a key.

Bill

t.c
--------------
#include<stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
  printf("Hello World\n");
  return 0;
}
---------------

compiled with
gcc -Wall -g -o t t.c

Current directory is ~/
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.3.50.20110821-cvs (cygwin-special)
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-cygwin".
Reading symbols from /home/wpriest/t.exe...done.
(gdb)
Debugger segmentation fault (core dumped)

I can confirm this. Bug M-x gud-gdb seems to work fine. I realize, however, that it may not give you the graphical interface that you'd like.

Notice that when you use M-x gdb, emacs calls gdb with the --annotate=3 option. A google search suggests that this option is obsolete. I don't know if that's part of the problem or not. I can run gdb with that option outside of emacs and it doesn't segfault.
I also encountered problems, though in my case gdb managed not only to hang, but also took emacs with it... I had to revert to the older version.

Has anybody figured out what might be causing the issue?
Update: gdb (previous version and home-built) doesn't seg fault, but is unable to run commands under the latest cygwin emacs: nothing happens when you hit [enter], though it usually responds to ^C and comes back to the gdb prompt. A home-built emacs works perfectly (at least, with the previous version of cygwin gdb).

Ryan