Re: fsync bug

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 02:43:21PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
fsync() is required to work on read-only fds (in theory, you can sync
the atime metadata, which is a write operation triggered by a read-only
fd).  But cygwin rejects this program, which works on Linux:

$ cat foo.c
#include<errno.h>
#include<unistd.h>
#include<stdio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>
#include<assert.h>
#include<fcntl.h>
int main (void)
{
   int fd = open("file", O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_WRONLY, 0600);
   if (fd<  0)
     return 1;
   if (close(fd))
     return 2;
   fd = open("file", O_RDONLY);
   if (fd<  0)
     return 3;
   if (fsync(fd))
     return 4;
   if (unlink("file"))
     return 5;
   puts("success");
   return 0;
}
$ rm -f file&&  ./foo; echo $?
4

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364439%28VS.85%29.aspx

So what's wrong with making fsync() a no-op for read-only fds, on the grounds that windows doesn't give us a way to flush that data, so the best emulation we can do is by ignoring the request rather than propagating a spurious failure back to the user?

Also, FlushFileBuffers sounds more like fdatasync(); I'm wondering if fsync() should also be flushing the containing directory of any given file, in case file metadata (such as timestamps or changes in size via truncate) still need to be flushed to disk by flushing the directory.