Re: install on win7 enterprise, can't modify bash start up shortcut

On 08/19/2011 12:31 PM, LMH wrote:
I don't know anything about mintty and have always used bash. Can I run
all of my bash commands, or would I be learning a new shell?

cmd, mintty, rxvt, xterm, and the like are terminals (the gui program that displays your tty in a window) - they are useless unless running some child program to do I/O in that tty

bash, tcsh, and such are shells (the program that interacts with your tty) - they are useless unless some parent program is running a terminal for the tty input and output to show up in

You need one program from each set, but changing from cmd to mintty does not have to affect your shell - you most likely want to still be using bash, so the set of bash commands you run does not change.