teTeX/dvips

Hi! I've just upgraded to a fresh Cygwin distribution. I installed the
full teTeX package. Then I tried to add my usual stuff like extra TeX
packages that I had with my previous installation of Cygwin.

(Yes, I have read that the problems with 3rd party packages are not
welcome here, but 1) I doubt there's a single TeX user who doesn't use
extra TeX packages; 2) I already resolved the issue, so I'm not really
complaining; 3) this issue has to do with recent changes in Cygwin's
teTeX package; so, please, read on!)

One of them is cm-super (font package to typeset Cyrillic fonts). To
start with, the installation instructions for cm-super no longer work
out the box with the latest teTeX distro. I found this to be due to
the change in the texmf configs which no longer look for .map and .enc
files in /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config, but rather in
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips and /usr/share/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips,
respectively. Well, it took me some time to figure this out, but I
did, and so I reinstalled the .map and .enc files there. However,
something strange happened: dvipdfm started working just fine, while
dvips didnt'! It took me a really long time to figure out what's going
on.

Turns out, the include path for dvips's map files is
/usr/shar/texmf/fonts/map// (!) Here, the "//" means "search all
subdirectories", of course. And it includes both those for dvips and
dvipdfm. And the cm-super guys did no better than name the
corresponding .map and .enc files identically! And since dvipdf comes
before dvips in the the alphabetical sort the dvips was actually
reading dvipdfm's .map and .enc files!

So, here's the bottom line: it's a bad idea to allow - even in
principle - for dvips to read dvipdfm's (or any other tool's) files.
Looks like, you guys wanted to make the search for .map/.enc files
mechanism uniform among all tools. Please try to see if this can be
done more safely.

Regards,
-CH