Re: Portable shell code between Cygwin and Linux

On 8/8/2011 5:11 AM, Sven KÃhler wrote:
Am 08.08.2011 10:14, schrieb Andrey Repin:
Greetings, Sven KÃhler!

alias vpnup='exec sudo openvpn --config $HOME/config/client.vpn --writepid /tmp/openvpn.pid&'

that's where his problem began, IMO.

I don't know, why you pointed that out. It's of no use to feed a path
like $HOME/something to a pure win32 binary.

You DON'T "feed a path like $HOME/something" ! The shell that run the script will expand variable before passing it to the program.

A win32 (non-cygwin) executable doesn't that /cygdrive/c refers to c:\. It also doesn't know that /home/bla is actually the same as c:\cygwin\home\bla. A win32 simply doesn't use cygwin, hence don't know about the translation from cygwin's POSIX paths to win32 ones.

It turned out, that the OP was not using a cygwin version of openvpn.
So if $HOME is a POSIX (cygwin specific) path, it won't work.

Hence my remark that you also have to know about and use (properly) the cygpath utility, which can convert cygwin paths to ones for Windows/DOS programs ...

Eliot Moss