Re: Device names in /proc/mounts

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:18:26AM +0200, Schwarz, Konrad wrote:
>As far as I understand, Cygwin mount knows about
>- fixed mounts /, /usr/bin, /usr/lib
>- user-defined mounts taken from /etc/fstab, /etc/fstab.d, and the command-line
>- Win32 drive letters implicitly mounted under /cygdrive
>
>The last case is actually handled by Windows, as you point out.
>
>What would be the problem (otherwise than backwards compatibility) in using
>Cygwin device names in this last case?

The above is inaccurate and misleading.  Cygwin's mount utility is a mapping
between windows paths and posix paths.  That's it.  The "drive letters" above
could be anything that Windows maps to a drive letter.  A drive does not
necessarily directly map to a physical device.

>For the second case (and the first, should you so desire), you could use
>the /cygdrive prefix or //server/share notation, as above.

/cygdrive is a user-settable value.  Some users use other values like
"/dev" instead of /cygdrive.  Some people get rid of the /cygdrive
entirely and just map to /a.  We're not going to introduce this level of
recursive confusion to the mount table handling.

Please give it a rest.  We're not changing the mount table for you.

cgf