extreme slowness working with FAT32 (other filesystem types fast)

Hi,

I maintain several backup hard drives with rsync in cygwin and until recently was using NTFS on all of them. Now, for easy read/write portability across Mac OS X and Windows, some of the external drives are FAT32 (try not to hate ... yes, I'm aware of its weaknesses), and I've noticed that syncing them is incredibly slow... i.e. just detecting the differences takes about an hour, where running the same process to an NTFS drive takes well under 5 minutes (we're talking about 1TB drives with ~85,000 files; nothing too major).

I've done a bit more digging, and even running

du -h --max-depth 1

at the root of the FAT32 drive takes FOREVER, where listing all files on the drive from a Windows command line is near-instantanous. Setting noacl for all drives in /etc/fstab makes no difference at all. Running on XP SP3 vs. Win7 makes no difference either.

I appreciate that FAT32 isn't a popular choice and you might not be keen to troubleshoot it, but if there's a chance of getting to the bottom of this, I'd be a very happy camper.

I'm running the latest stable versions of everything, but have attached my cygcheck output for you.

Cheers,

Luke