Re: [bash or DLL] Memory leak in childs

Heiko Elger writes:
> Mark Geisert <XXXX <XX> XXXXXX.XXX> writes:

Please don't quote raw email addresses; not quoting these is a list convention.

> > With respect, what you and the OP are seeing happens to be one of the primary
> > manifestations of BLODA.  Please show that you have ruled that out as a
> > possible cause; after that we can consider other explanations.
>
> I've just uninstalled Symantec Endpoint Protection - still same issue runninb
> shell script:
> ******* snip snip snip ****
> 1 [main] bash 4800 fork: child -1 - CreateProcessW failed for
> 'c:\programme\cygwin\bin\bash.exe', errno 12
> ./test2.sh: fork: Cannot allocate memory
> ******* snip snip snip ****

Are you saying you continue to see virtual memory use increasing over time and
eventually the above output is seen?  It's hard to tell because what's quoted
above doesn't match your earlier report.  Is test2.sh the script you used for
the second example in your first post on this subject?

> I checked BLODA list - but I cannot find a problem.

The list can be used two ways, as a literal list of known dodgy apps, and as a
guide to the kinds or classes of software that can cause problems.  You might
be running something that is similar to one of the BLODA that hasn't been
identified as BLODA yet.  The list is as good as we've got at this point in time.

> Here is the output of 'cygcheck -svr'
> ********* snip snip snip **********
>
> Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics
> Current System Time: Tue Jul 19 07:28:58 2011
>
> Windows 7 Professional N Ver 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1

Your cygcheck output looks normal to me.  I would put the Cygwin installation
directory first in your PATH but I doubt that has any effect on your memory
usage issue.

However, I understand that Windows 7 has an anti-spyware service named Windows
Defender included and enabled by default.  Is it enabled on your system?  If it
is, try disabling it.  (I can't speak from experience on this as I'm still
running Windows XP and XP64 on my systems.)

..mark