Re: Vim segv'ing

On Jun 30 17:05, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > FWIW, I see the same problem as the OP. The strace command interferes
> > > with vim so that it won't recognize ESC to allow the ":" to be
> > > recognized, so I can't ":wq!" as requested. strace output nevertheless
> > > attached as is cygcheck -svr output.
> >
> > You strace shows nothing, it just stops at one point.  Are you running
> > from a console or from mintty?  When running in a console in default
> > notty mode, :w! or :wq! works fine.  Can you try again?  Perhaps with
> > other strace flags?
> >
> >   strace -o vim.trace -m 0xffff vim-nox /etc/hosts
>
> I suddenly can reproduce the problem.  For some reason it occurs only if
> both, vim and the Cygwin DLL, are compiled with -O2.  Darn.  This does
> not make debugging exactly easier :-P  All I can say at this point is
> that the stack gets overwritten at one point.

FYI, I tracked it down to the place where the stack overwrite occurs.
This is most puzzeling.  When typing :wq!, the following chain of functions
is called:

  nv_colon
   do_cmdline
    ex_exit
     do_write
      open                           <- Here it calls into the Cygwin DLL
       fhandler_base::open_with_arch
        fhandler_base::open_fs
         fhandler_base::open
          NtCreateFile               <--Here it calls into NTDLL.DLL

The open call tries to open the backup file "/etc/hosts~", not the
symlink itself.

In the optimized version of vim, the local variable "cap" in the
function nv_colon is kept in register $esi.  When do_cmdline is called,
$esi is pushed onto the stack.  Then everything goes its normal ways,
until NtCreateFile is called.

And here's the puzzler: This call to NtCreateFile overwrites the 4 byte
stack slot in which the "cap" pointer is saved with the value 0x10c!

After return from do_cmdline, nv_colon uses cap in an expression and
since cap is a pointer value, when dereferencing the pointer, vim
crashes.

I checked this situation a couple of times in assembler.  The cap
value is fine up to the "call NtCreateFile@44", and it's changed to
0x10c when NtCreateFile returns.

I don't understand that.  Not only that NtCreateFile is not supposed to
change values on the stack in the stack frame 8 functions above, I also
don't know what the value 0x10c is.  It's not the HANDLE returned by
NtCreateFile, that's 0x1e4.

Well, that's it.  I just had to vent a bit since I have no idea how
to proceed at this point.  I can see and prove that the NtCreateFile
call overwrites the stack, but it's totally unlikely that NtCreateFile
would ever do that.  The OS would be broken.

Oh, and here's a last-minute surprise:  It does not happen if you run
gvim, rather than vim.  Maybe I should just give up to provide packages.

Corinna

Red Hat