Re: clear has been named clearw?

Am 28.06.2011 19:40, schrieb Charles Wilson:
On 6/26/2011 10:21 AM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
After some web surfing about how to clear the screen in cygwin, I
installed ncurses.  /bin/clear.exe is not there, but /bin/clearw.exe
is.  Nothing comes up on a search for clearw either in the mailing
list archives or google.  Just wondering if this was a filenaming
typo.

No, there are now two different ncurses packages:

The basic ncurses, which provides (among other things) /bin/clear.exe.

Then, there's the version that supports wide characters, called
'ncursesw'.  To avoid conflicts, this package delievers /bin/clearw.exe
(basically, all the exe's are renamed to carry a 'w' suffix).
I guess this is a peculiarity of cygwin packaging of ncurses. I see no clearw on other systems, and there is no reason for it because wide characters are not involved in the function of 'clear'.
Ncursesw supports wide characters at its API; 'clear' is not affected.
Thomas