Re: Installing cygwin on Windows 7 prompts for Admin credentials

On Jun 23 15:52, Robert Jacobson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to let one of my users install cygwin as a normal
> (non-admin) account.
>
> However, when they run setup.exe, they get a UAC prompt "Do you want to
> allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to
> your computer?
>
> To continue, type an administrator password, and then click Yes."
>
> I'd like to let them install it, but obviously I don't want to give them
> admin privs.
>
> What else can I do to workaround this?

Start "Local Security Policy" -> Security Settings -> Local Policies ->
Security Options.  Disable the setting "User Account Control: Detect
application installations and prompt for elevation".

Or rename setup.exe to foo.exe.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa905330.aspx#wvduac_topic3

Corinna

Red Hat