Re: Strange cygpath behavior.

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> There's something weird in your bash settings.

My apology. I forgot to mention, it wasn't executed from bash. I've tried it
from 4NT command prompt and from native Windows CMD prompt.
Under both, cygpath exhibited the same behavior, as well as other programs
(diff, readlink (inside shell script, launched through env.exe from windows
association** - as shown in 1144668147.20110623190534@mtu-net.ru">mid:1144668147.20110623190534@mtu-net.ru ) and so on).

> Usually bash will fold the backslashes before using the string as argument
> to the child process.

That's true for when you launch scripts from bash'ed console. But when you
just launch script/program from an unknown environment, that's not always work
straight.
As I said earlier, diff works as long as both file arguments are local
(X:\path\file), but break apart on network names, be it Windows (\\...)or Unix
(//...) style. Only way I've found so far is to attempt a nontrivial and very
leveled fool-checking, but that way I'm shooting myself into the leg, as such
a proof-reading reduce my ability to supply additional arguments to, i.e., diff.

> I don't know what the difference in your settings is, though.  Something
> with readline, maybe.

Seeing as even cygpath exhibiting such strange behavior, I suspect something
in the base path translation logic.

P.S.
I drastically reduced the quote, as it seems that my reply isn't directly
related to it's text, and leaving it in place would've highly reduced the
message readability, but I still feeling sorry for such a truncation. So,
there's my apology again.

P.P.S.
**That association.
$ assoc .sh
.sh=unixshell.script

$ ftype unixshell.script
unixshell.script="C:/Programs/Cygwin/bin/env.exe" "%1" %*

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...