Re: Cygwin and Windows Paths Leaking Through

On 5/26/2011 3:32 PM, sweinberger wrote:
> Cygwin is supposed to provide an isolated environment totally shielding
> applications that run on the inside from even knowing that a Windows
> anything exists.

I don't know where you got that idea.  It's perfectly fine to use w32api
functions in combination with cygwin/posix ones -- how do you think
mintty works? -- although you do need to be careful mixing stuff like
posix select() and w32 WaitFor*().

> That dmake and now something in genscripts does not, means
> that the Cygwin wall has some holes.
>
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.  -I. -I. -I../bfd -I./../bfd -I./../include  -g -O2
> -DENABLE_PLUGINS -DLOCALEDIR="\"/usr/local/share/locale\""  -W -Wall
> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wshadow -Werror -g -O2 -MT
> ldemul.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/ldemul.Tp
> o -c -o ldemul.o ldemul.c
Here's your problem: binutils and gcc don't support compiling "in the
source tree".  You need to create a separate, empty build directory
*outside* the src directory, and run configure/make in there.

Dunno about your dmake problems, someone else will have to address that.

--
Chuck