Re: Does Latex/Tex install? Does Latex/Tex work? How do you get it installed? How do you get it to work?

On 5/26/2011 3:16 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
On 26/05/2011 2:33 PM, Lee Rothstein wrote:
I have never been able to get the Tex stuff to work. I've never
even been able to install it successfully.

I admit it, I'm a dolt.

Anybody have the "magic beans" on this?

I've tried installing and reinstalling. Never can get it to work.
As it happens, I'm running tetex as we speak. It's never been a problem
for me, except the time I had MikTex in my cygwin path and the two
fought. I don't know anything about ec-fonts or jadetex, though. Here
are the cygwin packages I have installed:

tetex                   3.0.0-3
tetex-base              3.0.0-3
tetex-bin               3.0.0-3
tetex-extra             3.0.0-3
tetex-tiny              3.0.0-3

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
You didn't say what OS or version of cygwin you're running, but assuming
it's 1.7 you might try a fresh install to, say, c:\cygwin-tex, which
includes only the base packages and tetex. It won't harm your existing
install in any way, and you should be able to use the saved packages
from previous downloads rather than having to download again.

If that works you probably have a corrupted cygwin installation (which
would make sense given all the strange errors you mention); if it
doesn't work then something really weird is going on.

Another alternative if the OP wants a modern TeX system is TeX Live (http://www.tug.org/texlive/). It supports Cygwin OOTB.

Ken