RE: Who's using "CYGWIN=tty" and why?

Corinna Vinschen sent the following at Monday, May 09, 2011 12:10 PM
>Chris and I are wondering how many people are using the Windows console
>as local console window in CYGWIN=tty mode and why.

I've been using it for so long that I do not remember why - probably
because I thought it was recommended.

I did some testing yesterday and found that with CYGWIN=tty each
console gets a unique number, as visible in /bin/tty, ps, and
$(cat /proc/$$/ctty).  Without it, one gets "con" (tty and ps) or a
long, nonunique number (/proc).  I use the tty number to keep track
of console windows.

The above testing was in console where the shortcut launches bash
directly, without use of a batch file.

In the past, I've played with minty and haven't felt the need to
switch.  I did an abbreviated test (just ps) with minty and it had
tty numbers without CYGWIN=tty.  So although I'd like the Windows/DOS
console retain the ability to be tracked, I could switch to minty if
I had to.

Best wishes,

- Barry