Re: Who's using "CYGWIN=tty" and why?

On May  9 17:21, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>
> > Chris and I are wondering how many people are using the Windows console
> > as local console window in CYGWIN=tty mode and why.
>
> I am one such.
>
> > Here's why we ask:
> >
> > We are both not sure why anybody would use it voluntarily, given that
> > it's I/O is extremly slow, compared to using a Windows console window in
> > the default CYGWIN=notty mode or, even better, mintty.  Actually, we
> > only keep the console tty mode up because it was "always there", 14
> > years or so.
>
> Um, history is sticky, is I guess the answer.  When I started using
> cygwin (a _long_ time ago), CYGWIN=tty was the recommended setting
> (and isn't it still there in cygwin/cygwin.bat ?).  So I have

No, it's not the default, and it never was, actually.

> faithfully copied that into my Windows environment initialisation ever
> since.  Is it time to remove it?  I do use a windows console
> occasionally for pure Windows activities---what change(s) will I see?

I don't quite understand, if you use the Windows console for pure
Windows stuff, why do you use tty mode at all?  And what do you use
to run Cygwin apps?

Many native Windows tools don't work well in tty mode anyway.  For
non-Cygwin tools, the default notty mode is the most compatible one.

Corinna

Red Hat