[1.7.9] bash: warning: setlocale: LC_COLLATE: cannot change locale (FR)

On Monday, 4 April 2011, FrÃdÃric Bron wrote:
>>> I now get this message when starting mintty ("C:\cygwin-1.7\bin\mintty.exe -"):
>>> -bash: warning: setlocale: LC_COLLATE: cannot change locale (FR)
>>
>> Check the locale setting on the Text page of mintty's options dialog.
>
> It was empty.

Which is the default, in which case mintty uses the locale set in its
environment, or Cygwin's default locale if nothing is set. So this
probably means that something has set LANG to 'FR' in your Windows
environment. You could try confirming that in a Command Prompt.

> That now works fine.

You mean after setting the locale in the mintty options?

> Thank you.

You're welcome.

> I wonder why it was working fine with 1.7.8...

I don't think it's anything to do with the update. There's been no
relevant change, and there's no good reason why Cygwin would set a
locale like that. A valid one would be 'fr_FR'. I'd suspect some other
software you installed or updated around the same time. Another Unix
environment perhaps?

Andy