Re: ITP dos2unix 5.2.1-1

Charles Wilson schreef, Op 17-3-2011 21:36:
On 3/17/2011 4:08 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 03/17/2011 01:56 PM, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
I'm willing to maintain patches for Cygwin, to make the transition
easier. But if there is no chance that the package gets accepted, I
rather save myself the trouble.
There's two sets of patches being talked about here:

1) What temporary (3-month?) patches are needed to make the dos2unix
package a drop-in replacement to the existing cygwin dos2unix, so that
people can start testing if it really was a drop-in.

2) What patches (permanent) are worth adding to upstream, to fix
deficiencies in the usability of upstream when compared to what cygwin has.
OK, everybody, time out for a minute.  Rather than talk vapor, I'll
develop the patches necessary.

The first one, or first set (e.g. #2, above), I'll propose that
"official" upstream dos2unix accept *for all platforms*.  It will not
change upstream's behavior in any way, except for offering some new options.

The second one (#1, above), I'll propose that Erwin use as part of his initial cygwin package offering. This one would be only a transitional measure, and would be slated to be dropped from a later cygwin package after a certain amount of time has passed.

Hi,

I will create a branch for cygwin. I think that for temporary and redundant options it may be better to silently accept them and not document them. Existing scripts will not break, but usage of temporary options is discouraged and it saves work on translations. Usage of such an option may even trigger a warning that it will be removed in a future release. Then people have time to adapt.

Useful options will end up in trunk. In the end there will be a single source for Cygwin and Linux, and both will take advantage of it.

With regards to the d2u/u2d aliases, for now I'd just modify the cygport
script to create those as hardlinks, and not modify or patch the package
source at all.

Standby...

Do you want d2u/u2d to run conv, or the new dos2unix/unix2dos?

Erwin