Re: [SOLVED] cygwin1.dll upgrade problem

Am 17.03.2011 16:50, schrieb Alan J. Wylie:

Hi, Corinna et al.

I'm not subscribed to the mailing list: I read it via gmane, but I've
just solved a problem that might be run into by other users.

Initial symptom:

svn exits immediately without any output

I traced this to a recent upgrade of base/cygwin which left behind
/bin/cygwin1.dll.new and didn't copy it over.

I tried closing all cygwin programs and re-installing, but still it
didn't upgrade and left the .new file behind.

Illumination dawned - I run cron as a service, and this was holding
the old copy of the library open. Shut down cron, re-install, and all
is now fine.

If you feel this is useful, please feel free to forward it on to the
mailing list.

setup.exe will have made mention about in-use files that should have gotten replaced but were only scheduled for replacement across the next reboot, and that you need to reboot in order to finish the upgrade.

Of course you can retry to shut down all processes and re-do the upgrade without a reboot, but nonetheless the reboot should happen soon, not after days or weeks with other intermitting setup.exe runs, else you might inadvertently be switched back to older installations on a reboot.

Be sure to carefully read the pop-up requesters and infobubbles from setup.exe.

--
Matthias Andree