RE: How to read thumb drive volume label

carolus sent the following at Monday, March 14, 2011 1:05 PM
>I didn't realize that the output of dir depended on whether it was
>invoked from cygwin or from cmd, and I didn't know about label.exe.

dir does not differ depending on from where it is invoked.  Compare
the output of the following.

In a windows "Command Prompt" window:
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c c:\cygwin\bin\dir
and
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c dir

Or in bash:
"$(cygpath -sysdir)"/cmd.exe /c dir
and
"$(cygpath -sysdir)"/cmd.exe /c "c:\cygwin\bin\dir"

The first dir in each pair is a cmd.exe builtin and the second is a
cygwin executable.

FYI, /bin/ls.exe and /bin/dir.exe are almost identical, differing by
3 bytes.

As for label.exe, to know about it, one has be old enough to have run
MS-DOS.

(Personally, I think that running DESQview386 under DOS 3.3 was better
than any version of Windows, just as some people on this list wax
nostalgic for B20 and version 1.5.)  :-)

- Barry