Re: tar --atime-preserve with an empty file triggers a warning

On Mar  7 08:07, Eric Blake wrote:
> [adding bug-tar]

> > THis looks like a tar bug, per the strace.  For some reason, if the
> > file is empty, tar calls futimens on file descriptor 0 (which is
> > connected to /dev/tty1 in my case), while it call futimens on
> > file descriptor 4 (connected to the file empty) if the file empty
> > is... well, not empty.
>
> This is indeed multiple bug reports for the price of 1 :)
> [...]
> Finally, cygwin is failing with EINVAL for futimens on a pty fd.
> However, I don't know if that's something that we can change, since
> cygwin doesn't really maintain a notion of changeable times on ptys at
> the moment.

Please take this as granted for now.  Ptys/ttys are implemented using
other Windows objects (events, pipes, etc) and none of them supports
setting a file time.  I don't know if faking the ability to set the
filetime is really feasible.

Maybe we should just return EPERM?

Corinna

Red Hat