Re: Doubtful about unison

On 3/1/2011 8:20 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
To be fair, setup.exe ought to be able to resolve or warn about such
version dependencies.

That's what I was tempted to say. For the record this is what I did: 1) select Keep 2) manually pick unison 3) accept the dialog about dependencies Yet AFAICT only Unison was installed.

This is complicated by the fact that I did not directly install but
did a first download-without-installation and then installed from
local bundles. The above is what happened at download time; I am no
longer sure what I did at installation time but most likely the same.

In a slightly different line of thought, isn't it rather brittle of
Cygwin that a minor upgrade (I was already at some 1.7 version)
breaks applications? Think, a contrario, of how you can still run
ancient Windows apps on XP.

Anyway I upgraded everything and now I am fine. I was badly burned
by a backward incompatibility a while back (1.5 -> 1.6?) and became
upgrade-shy. Maybe I will resume upgrading more frequently and
consistently.

Thanks for the help.

-- O.L.

PS: In a related vein, OpenSSH did not install its libraries, although
I re-re-re-installed it, causing exim, svn etc to fail. I had to unpack
the library tar ball manually.