Re: Cygstart through SSH tunnel

On 2/5/2011 2:31 PM, davej1983 wrote:

Thanks for your help, and I will definitely look into Cygwin/X.

However, from the way you explained it, I'm not sure if I clearly explained
what I was trying to do. I'm not actually trying to get the file to open on
my local computer, rather I am trying to get them to open/execute on the
remote computer.

Yes, that is clear. And that's where the problem is.

For example if I am physically at Computer 1, and I tunnel into Computer 2,
I want the file to open on the screen of Computer 2. And what I don't
understand is that when I am physically at Computer 2 and type "cygstart
test.txt" it opens fine, its only when I do it over the tunnel it doesn't
work. As far as I understood it, when you are logged in through a SSH
tunnel, it is as if you are physically at the remote computer running
Cygwin.

Yes and no. It depends what you're trying to do and the abilities that you have as a remote user.

Is there some kind of block (permissions etc...) that prevent these commands
from being executed remotely?

In the case you described, the short answer is yes. MS sees remotely logged in users starting apps that use and manipulate the local screen as a security hole. And so they disallow access to the local screen. This simple explanation glosses some technical details. If you're looking for the full details, you're best bet is to review the email archives where this has been discussed many times in the past. But to sum it all up in a sentence, Windows doesn't want you to work this way so it's actively trying to keep you from doing this.

--
Larry