Re: 16-bit wchar_t on Windows and Cygwin

On 02/02/2011 04:03 PM, Bruno Haible wrote:
>> Are you thinking of making a sane wrapping around either 4-byte wchar_t
>> or which maps to 2-byte wchar_t but sanely handles UTF-16 (which makes
>> it a thin wrapper on both Linux and Cygwin, but needing more work on
>> mingw), or are you thinking that it is always a 4-byte type (needing
>> lots more memory manipulation on cygwin to convert between 2- and 4-byte
>> representations when using cygwin's functions, or else reimplementing
>> everything from scratch by completely bypassing cygwin)?
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question. The plan is that
>
>   - On platforms with a 32-bit wchar_t, like glibc, *BSD, and many others,
>     'wwchar_t' is identical to 'wchar_t', and the function wrappers are
>     simple redirections.
>
>   - On Cygwin and mingw, wwchar_t is 'uint32_t' (so as to accommodate
>     all Unicode characters and WEOF and so that it plays well with 'wint_t').
>     mbrtowwc is implemented by 1 or 2 calls to mbrtowc. mbsrtowwcs may be
>     implemented by a call to mbsrtowcs and an additional conversion loop,
>     or it might be implemented on top of mbrtowwc; that's merely a speed
>     vs. memory trade-off.
>     The plan is not to "completely bypassing cygwin", but to use as much
>     of Cygwin's built-ins as makes sense.

You answered my question in spite of myself.  I was asking:

should wwchar_t (or xwchar_t, but not xchar_t) be 2-bytes on cygwin, but
unlike the POSIX definition of wchar_t being always 1 character per
unit, the new type is explicitly documented as being multi-unit on some
platforms but with sane semantics

or should it always be 4-bytes, where conversion from wchar_t to
wwchar_t requires some efforts, and where the new type must be used
everywhere (which means wrapping a lot of APIs), but where you can once
again assume POSIX semantics of 1 character per unit, simplifying life
of callers at the expense of converting to the new type

And on asking the question in those more detailed words, I agree with
your conclusion - on cygwin, wwchar_t should be 4 bytes.

>   - On platforms with a 16-bit wchar_t but where the wchar_t[] encoding
>     in Unicode locales is merely UCS-2, like AIX, use the no-op thin
>     wrappers as well. If the platform does not support more than the BMP,
>     it makes not much sense for GNU programs to try to work around that.

Agreed.

Next question/thought.  Gnulib should definitely tackle this first.  But
if it works out, should we also add wwchar_t natively into cygwin?  It
would certainly be easier to add new interfaces incrementally, in
preparation for a possible future ABI conversion to make wchar_t become
4 bytes.