Re: Invoking GUI programs over SSH

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 22:52, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * David Antliff (Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:13:22 +1300)
>> Along these lines, I was wondering if anyone knows how to run the
>> Cygwin SSH daemon manually, rather than as a service? On Linux one can
>> just run sshd from the command line, specifying an alternative port if
>> necessary. But in Cygwin I can't find sshd.exe or anything similarly
>> named.
>
> On Cygwin you do it the same way as you do it on Linux and the
> executable is in the same place as it is on Linux.

Thorsten, thank you. I had to adjust some folder permissions and grant
some special privileges (as described at the end of this page:
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~kscully/CygwinSSHD_W2K3.html), but once I did
that it seemed to work, at least running under a User rather than
Local System account.

Jeremy: thank you also - ProcessMonitor is very useful, and I'm using
it to compare the behaviour of the working (local) and non-working
(over SSH) instances. It's going to take me some time to sift though
them, but there are big differences:

Working: http://pastebin.com/W30xcT6P
Non-working: http://pastebin.com/Xt3an4Qs

The two logs diverge massively at line 12. The working instance
appears to start scanning the filesystem, whereas the non-working
instance starts going through registry keys. I'm not 100% convinced
I'm comparing oranges with oranges here, but I'm hoping there's a clue
somewhere.

I'll be spending some time trying to deduce what the problem might be,
but if anyone looks at those logs and can easily tell me, I'd really
appreciate it! :)

Thanks,

-- David.