Re: suggestion (was Re: 1.7.7: Localization does not follow the language of the OS)

On Jan 12 18:47, cornwarecjp@lavabit.com wrote:
> > The official way to set the locale is to use the locale(1) tool, see the
> > User's Guide http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#locale
> >
> >   export LANG=`locale -u`       setenv LANG `locale -u`
> >   export LANG=`locale -s`       setenv LANG `locale -s`
> >
> > or better
> >
> >   export LANG=`locale -uU`      setenv LANG `locale -uU`
> >   export LANG=`locale -sU       setenv LANG `locale -sU`
>
> Thanks for this suggestion. I tested the locale command, and it does
> what you describe.
>
> Unfortunately, the people who download my application usually don't have
> Cygwin, so I'll have to distribute locale.exe with my application. Also,
> this trick will add extra complexity to my software, which is (AFAIK) not
> necessary on other UNIX platforms.
>
> Despite these disadvantages, I think this is a useful solution for me.
> locale.exe is only 18kB; I'll just check the license again to see if this
> distributing is OK.

locale.exe is Cygwin licensed, and it's a Cygwin application, so you
would have to distribute the Cygwin DLL as well.  Plus the Cygwin source
codes (which include the locale.exe source codes), to adhere with the GPL.

Corinna

Red Hat