Cygwin, VSS snapshots and Rsync

Hi,

I don’t know if the problem is related to Cygwin or Windows, but I
thought It was worth asking…

I have no problem to use Rsync under Cygwin (Windows 7) on normal
conditions, for example to copy one file on a remote Ubuntu server.

Things get complicated when I want to copy open files. To perform
this, I create a VSS snapshot including the file I want to copy (I
just need to upload a big *.vhd file), map the snapshot path to a DOS
drive using DefineDosDevice(), then run rsync on the drive. After the
copy, the drive is unmounted and the snapshot is destroyed. After
having searched in this mailing list it even seems that Cygwin now
natively supports NT native pathnames (\\?\...) so most of my glue is
useless.

So, the following command line :

rsync.exe -vrtzP --stats --human-readable -W
"//?/GLOBALROOT/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy80/Data/StorageDisk.vhd"
adrien@192.168.0.21:"~/ADRIEN/STORAGE/1/StorageDisk.vhd"

...gives me the following output :

Number of files: 1
**Number of files transferred: 0**
Total file size: 629.15M bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 30
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 39
Total bytes received: 12

Although I use “-W” to force the file transfer, 0 files is
transferred, while rsync exit code is 0 (success).

I have the intuition that there might be an issue with the fact that
the snapshot is read-only.  But I get neither warning nor error
message from rsync. But maybe that’s something specific to Cygwin ?

Any hint appreciated!

Best regards,

Adrien