Re: Cygwin-1.7.7: mv appends .exe to directory if matching .exe exists

On 01/04/2011 12:01 PM, Steven Hartland wrote:
> It really feels like so called consistency is being enforced over
> functionality
> which is sad as I always though cygwin's goal was to make Unix look and
> feel
> under windows?

With the Unix look and feel, do you type 'ls file' or 'ls.exe file'?
There would be a LOT of upset users if we didn't do at least some magic
for .exe.  It's an unfortunate problem of running on Windows, while
still providing apps that can be invoked from non-cygwin processes (if
we wanted, we could name cygwin binaries with no extension, just as in
Unix, but then native windows apps couldn't easily run them).