Re: uptime not reporting CPU usage on Windows 7 (Possibly only when running in VMWare)

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:27, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> ?On 12/30/2010 06:05 PM, David Antliff wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 08:23, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>>
>>> Well that sucks. Surely Windows has some means of reporting how busy the
>>> system is. uptime should use that.
>>
>> But then they wouldn't be actual load averages where most
>> people/programs expected to see load averages.
>>
>> -- David
>
> Understood, but current real load averages be calculated? Besides wouldn't
> those people who expect to see real load averages (i.e. me!) be disappointed
> to only see 0's?!? IOW wouldn't even fake load averages be better than just
> always 0?!?

The "load average" is a bit more complicated than just how busy the
system is - it's related to the number of processes waiting for the
CPU, with some time-weighted averaging and a few other herbs and
spices. I'm no Windows system programmer so I don't even know if that
sort of information is even available to Cygwin.

I 'discovered' this zero thing myself last year when I was trying to
incorporate some sort of logging into a build system I wrote to run in
Cygwin - I had hoped to compare 'machine load' over multiple builds
over time, but as you know, you just get zeroes. So I just used build
timing metrics instead (i.e. the 'time' command). Personally I
wouldn't mind a Cygwin/Windows-specific measurement that provided some
sort of "how busy is the machine" metric (one probably exists -
anyone?) but I think it might be better to not overload the "load
average" fields as they are pretty specific in their meaning.

In my opinion, I think it's better to have zero values rather than
anything fake. A consistent and reasonable 'estimate' (if possible)
would be OK for my purposes but I can't speak for anyone else.

-- David.