Re: 1.7.7: rm -rf sometimes fails - race condition?

On 12/10/2010 3:30 PM, Steven Hartland wrote:

Personally I think the only solution is to remove this delete on close code and fail hard for shared locked files, as it gives a much more predictable code flow.

Not always.

The core problem is that the semantics for file deletion are different on Windows than on *ix, and some *ix programs depend on this in ways that make them fail on Windows. The new Cygwin file delete code uses a feature of Windows specifically introduced to work around a consequence of the Windows delete semantics in order to fake *ix semantics as well as you can reasonably expect.

I think the new feature is great, and don't want to see it go. It's a clever solution to a real problem and fits Cygwin's mission perfectly.