Re: 1.7.7: rm -rf sometimes fails - race condition?

On 12/10/2010 2:45 PM, Matthias Andree wrote:
Certainly I don't get back to a stock Windows configuration, and that's hardly
what a typical Cygwin installation would look like anyways;

Of course not, but it's reasonable to start from a common baseline when debugging problems. If doing so makes the problem go away, it means the problem is in some other third-party software, and so is not something Cygwin can reasonably be expected to fix.

If you are able to point blame at a specific piece of third-party software, let us know so it can be added to the BLODA list:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

I don't see your specific version of Sophos there. Maybe they fixed their problems since v7. It could instead mean no one has bothered to post a credible smoking gun showing the same problems in a later version. I know if I had problems with Cygwin after installing a later version of Sophos, I'd just assume it's still broken rather than debug and re-report it.

software that's failing is rm.exe in certain circumstances when running "cygport
fetchmail-6.3.19-1 all", so it's not exactly rocket science I've been trying :)

Point me to your source package, and I'll download it and try building it in a loop here.

I tried downloading the current .18 source release with setup.exe, but it's not a cygport source package, so I don't think testing with it would be a useful approximation of your test condition. There's no point testing a different cygport package, because I've already done that dozens or hundreds of times before. It hasn't failed for me in the way you report.