Re: unable to type command into Cygwin after running 'tail'

Andy Koppe <andy.koppe <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 2 December 2010 20:28, Heath Kehoe wrote:
> >> FWIW, I can't reproduce this, even if I kill the tail or less with
> >> SIGKILL, thus giving them no chance to do any cleanup. (I assume you
> >> use 'less -K' to allow it to be ctrl-c'ed?)
> >>
> >> Which shell do people who've seen the problem use? Is it an intermittent
issue?

> > If you SIGKILL a 'less' while it has the tty set for raw/noecho then the tty
will stay in that mode.

> Wel, yes, that was the point of trying that. The terminal settings
> didn't get corrupted that way though, which suggests that it isn't
> 'less' that messes things up.
>
> > Also, the OP said the problem was happening on pipelines like 'tail | grep'.
> > Neither tail nor grep muck with tty settings (that I know of)
>
> Yep, a look at their sources confirms that.
>
> > so if the tty is ending up with echo disabled,
> > it's got to be the shell leaving it that way.
>
> But then how did it get disabled in the first place?
>
> > So again, we'll need to know which shell this is happening with
> > and a way to reliably repro the issue to have any hope of fixing it.
>
> Agreed. Also, for anyone who sees the issue again, blindly typing just
> 'stty' (without the 'sane') and posting the output here might provide
> a clue.
>
> Andy

Fresh shell:

speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
start = <undef>; stop = <undef>;
-imaxbel
-echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

After ctrl+C during a grep which is redirecting output to a file:

$ speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
-icrnl -imaxbel
-icanon -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

After "stty sane"

speed 38400 baud; line = 0;

In terms of what I'm grepping, it's text file which has lots of <SOH> characters
in it (character 0x01). Command looks like this:

grep "35=A" bigfile.log > output.txt

TJ