Re: unable to type command into Cygwin after running 'tail'

Spiro Trikaliotis-12 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> * On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 12:51:22PM -0600 Thrall, Bryan wrote:
>> Charles Wilson wrote on 2010-12-02:

>> > I've noticed that this misbehavior occurs more frequently these days:
>> > ctrl-c'ing some tasks (tail, less, maybe a few others) ends up with the
>
> I can totally second that behaviour.
>
>> I've seen it ctrl-c'ing to get out of a tail in an xterm, so it isn't
>> specific to mintty.
>
> I do not use mintty (yet?), so it is not specific to it. I have seen it
> when connecting remotely via ssh (for example, putty to localhost), as
> well as when using the "prepared" cygwin.bat file to get cygwin in a
> Windows console.
>

> For me, it first happened when I moved from Cygwin 1.5 to 1.7. Note that
> I was not one of the early adaptors, though, thus, I cannot say if this
> was present in 1.7.1 from the beginning.
>
> One thing I noticed:
>
> Sometimes, when this happens, you have to wait some minutes. Afterwards,
> the behaviour fixes itself.
>
> I feel this is strange. Is it occurs to me very often I thought about a
> local problem on my side, that's why I did not report it yet.
>
>> > terminal settings all scrogged up, and requires you to "blindly" type
>> in
>> > 'reset' (or stty sane) to fix it.
>
> Yes, I can second this, too: You still can type and execute commands,
> you just cannot see what you are typing.
>

> Best regards,
>    Spiro.
>
> --
> Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/
> http://www.trikaliotis.net/                     http://www.viceteam.org/
>
> --

Hi, I'm the original poster here. Thanks for all the reply. 'stty sane' does
help. It's much better than close the shell and reopen it.

I'm not sure what shell I'm using, maybe bash. Quite new to cygwin, all I
did was that I installed cygwin and clicked on the cygwin icon and got the
shell. I'm not using mintty.

The problem is not occurring with either tail or grep alone. It happened
when I piped tail to grep.