Re: unable to type command into Cygwin after running 'tail'

On 2 December 2010 18:51, Thrall, Bryan wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote on 2010-12-02:

>>> I'm sorry, I can't. I don't know why it is happening. I just know how
>>> to recover from it as a user.
>>
>> I've noticed that this misbehavior occurs more frequently these days:
>> ctrl-c'ing some tasks (tail, less, maybe a few others) ends up with the
>> terminal settings all scrogged up, and requires you to "blindly" type in
>> 'reset' (or stty sane) to fix it.
>>
>> It's really rather annoying, but I don't know what exactly caused this
>> to start happening. ÂIt's possible it is unique to mintty, since I
>> /think/ I started seeing this more frequently about the time I drifted
>> to regularly using mintty more than rxvt-unicode...and I don't think I
>> see this behavior in urxvt.
>
> I've seen it ctrl-c'ing to get out of a tail in an xterm, so it isn't specific to mintty.

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought so given that 'stty sane' fixes it. That
affects the terminal driver ("termios") settings only, which aren't
touched by mintty.

I think the issue here is whether the applications in question are
meant to restore the termios settings on SIGINT, and if so, why they
don't get round to doing so.

Andy