Re: Segmentation Fault in OpenGL - glutMainLoop

Nathan Rose wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Nathan,

> I suspect this problem may be beyond the scope of this mailing list, but I would really appreciate any
> help that you could provide.
>
> I have someone else's code that uses OpenGL (it's a massive set of files, so I'm not going to attach them > here). It compiles fine on Cygwin, but when the glutMainLoop method is called I get a segmentation fault. > I have tested it on Ubuntu and this does not occur there, so my assumption is that there is something
> wrong with how I have set up Cygwin. The following packages have been installed:
> libglut-devel
> freeglut
> libglut3
> opengl
> glproto
> libGL-devel
> libGL1
> libGLU-devel
> libGLU1
> libglitz
> libxcb-dlx-devel
> libxcb-glx0
> (basically, I've installed everything from the Select Packages page that has 'gl' in its name)
>
> I have attached the stackdump from the segfault and the output from cygcheck, in case they can help
> identify the cause of this issue. I'm not expecting that anyone will be able to magically solve this with
> what little information I have provided, but any hints as to which direction I should proceed would be
> appreciated.

First thing: there are 2 ways to use OpenGL and GLUT under Cygwin: through an X server and natively. As you
ran it under Unbutu, I suspect you use the X server, but please confirm it. I cannot deduce anything from
your stackdump. Some applications have configure script to build with an X server on Linux and natively on
Windows.

If your application goes for the native route, my package (the opengl package) is concerned and I will try
to help you further. In that case, you may uninstall the other packages mentionned above to clear any
possible (but improbable) confusion. Try some simple program first: see if one of the native GLUT example
programs run properly: /usr/lib/glut-examples/helloGlut.exe , then /usr/lib/glui-examples/example6.exe .
If they work, try rebuilding them by going to /usr/share/doc/opengl-1.1.0/GLUTexamples and
/usr/share/doc/opengl-1.1.0/GLUIexamples and typing "make".

If your application goes for the X server route, I will let the maintainers of the related packages take you
from here. You may uninstall the opengl package to clear any possible (again improbable) confusion.
X related issues should be discussed on a separate list: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com .

> Thanks,
>
> Nathan

HTH,

André Bleau, Cygwin's OpenGL package maintainer
Please send any questiopn or comment about the OpenGL package to cygwin at cygwin dot com,
not directly to me.