Re: R: Question about cygwin installation and folder permissions

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 02:04:48AM +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
>Greetings, Vincent Richomme!

>>> To add:
>>> Strongly advised against paths with spaces or national letters.
>>>

>> Again I was not very clear I don't want to know how to install cygwin
>> because even a monkey can do it.
>> No what I want to know is in the installer how do you change folder
>> permissions, what kind of API, is it done by the installer or by some post
>> install script...
>
>Erm, wat? Sorry, but I quite don't understand, what the end-result you want?
>Cygwin is installed in userspace. You could even install it in your profile
>directory (assuming you're on Vista/W7).
>
>> Where can I find cygwin installer sources if it's done by it.
>> Actually I built a custom installer for msys/mingw-w64 and when I
>> install it in C:/Developer/MaxGW, if I run it without permissions I cannot
>> create new folder :
>
>> mkdir: cannot create directory `/home': Permission denied
>> cp: cannot create regular file `/home/Vincent/.inputrc': No such file
>> or direry
>> bash: cd: /home/Vincent: No such file or directory
>
>Then you don't have permissions to write to that folder.
>
>> It means I usually have to run my application using administrator
>> rights but I don't like to do this.
>> Cygwin seems to allow user to create folder inside its installation
>> path so I would like to know how it's possible.
>
>Sorry my, is this question regarding Cygwin, or msys?

Hmm.  Good question.  We certainly are not going to waste bandwidth
discussing MSYS here.  The sources for setup are available (of course).
If you have questions, consult them.

We're not going to help design a new installer for a Cygwin fork.  Talk
to the vast and canny team of MSYS developers if that is required.

cgf