Re: sshd problem with recent snapshots

On Nov 15 11:40, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 11:18:57AM -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
On Nov 13 10:00, Ken Brown wrote:
On 11/5/2010 8:03 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
If I start sshd on a machine running a recent snapshot, I'm unable to
login to that machine via ssh.  The connection is closed right after I
type my password.  The problem first appears in the snapshot of
20100917.  To reproduce:

1. Start sshd.

2. While logged in as one user, try to login as another user. For example:

$ ssh kbrown-admin@localhost
kbrown-admin@localhost's password:
Connection to localhost closed by remote host.
Connection to localhost closed.

The same thing happens if I try to ssh in from a different machine on
the network.

Further information: There are two entries in the Windows Event Viewer (Application Log) after the failed login:

sshd: PID 2264: Accepted password for kbrown-admin from ::1 port 1025 ssh2.

sshd: PID 2264: fatal: chmod(/dev/tty1, 0622) failed: Permission denied.

Hmm, that's weird. I'm using the latest Cygwin from CVS, and I cannot reproduce this. I tried to login from a remote machine with pubkey and password authentication using an admin account as well as a normal user account. Works fine for me in all these cases.

I can't quite believe it, but maybe that's OS related.  I'm running my
tests on W7 in the first place.  What OS are you using?

XP SP3.

FWIW, I couldn't duplicate this on XP SP3 but my ssh installation was a little nonstandard. I ended up breaking ssh entirely over the weekend so I'm looking for a random helpful blog to help me diagnose the problem.

But, seriously, I'll check this as soon as I get things back to a running
state.

What I don't grok is that this should start with the 20100917 snapshot, but works with 20100912. There's nothing in the 09-17 ChangeLog which would be related.

It doesn't make sense to me either, but I've just rechecked that the problem occurs with the 09-17 snapshot (as well as the current one), but not with the 09-12 snapshot. I'm attaching my cygcheck output (with the 09-17 snapshot installed) in case there's something there that could be relevant.

Ken