How to debug mintty or screen freeze

Bear with me please, this is moderately complex:

I run mintty out of the Quick Launch bar as follows:

 C:\Cygwin\bin\mintty.exe  /usr/bin/screen -q

and in one of the resulting tabs read mail using gnus in xemacs on a
Debian box remotely via ssh.  About once a week as that remote gnus is
painting the subject lines in my spam box, the whole thing freezes
solid.

screen doesn't respond to escape commands, ~. does nothing, Control-C
has no effect, trying to close the window results in the "process not
responding" popup.

It's not repeatable, in that reconnecting and changing to the same
gnus Subject buffer will succeed.

I _presume_ some obscure character code is responsible. . .

Two questions:

 1) Anyone else seen anything like this?
 2) Any easy way to provide useful details?  I would be happy to run a
    debugging build if supplied, but really can't run for days under
    strace. . .

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk