Re: Cygwin paths in mingw64

On 11/4/2010 11:16 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 07:48:38AM -0700, LionAM wrote:
>> I have installed cygwin together with mingw64 (4.5.1-1).
>> Is there an compiler switch to make mingw use the cygwin environment?
>
> No.  These are *MinGW* compilers.  They are supposed to create
> pure-windows executables.  That is their sole purpose.  There is no
> 64-bit version of Cygwin and, without a lot of head-standing, you'd need
> that to create a 64-bit application that understood Cygwin paths.

Actually, the OP hasn't really specified whether he is using the
*cygwin* provided mingw64 *cross compilers*, or if he has simply
installed the mingw64 *native* compilers from mingw-w64.sourceforge.net.

If the latter...well, why would you expect that a w64 native windows
compiler would ever be able to generate apps that use the cygwin
unix/posix services?

If the former...same thing, really.  The compiler generates NATIVE w64
code, and the generated code uses the W64 native windows runtime
services: NOT the cygwin runtime services.  The only real differences in
these two compilers is that the cygwin-hosted cross compiler can use
cygwin services during the BUILD process. But the generated executables
are, ideally, IDENTICAL to those created by a regular, normal, native
W64 compiler.

What it SEEMS the OP wants is a 64bit cygwin compiler.  There is no such
beast.  Sorry.

--
Chuck