Re: How can I get mintty to not display my password?

On 10/22/2010 01:49 PM, RISINGP1@nationwide.com wrote:
> When using cmd.exe, when I am prompted for a password, no characters are
> displayed, but the password gets entered.  However, when I use mintty, the
> characters I type at the password prompt are displayed.  TERM=xterm.  How
> can I stop this from happening?
>
> In cmd.exe:
> -----------
>
> sqlplus risingp1@CTIBETA2
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Fri Oct 22 14:38:07 2010
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> Enter password:
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bit
> Production
> With the Partitioning, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
>
> SQL>
>
> In mintty:
> ----------
>
> sqlplus risingp1@CTIBETA2
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Fri Oct 22 14:38:07 2010
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> Enter password: hereISmyPASSWORD
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bit
> Production
> With the Partitioning, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
>
> SQL>

Given that sqlplus is a native Windows application as opposed to a
Cygwin application, there is no way to do what you need directly under
Mintty.  The problem is that Mintty uses ptys for its console handling,
but Windows applications don't know about such Cygwin constructs.  All
they see is a pipe, so they can't do things like disabling console
echoing as they would when they have a real Windows console in which to run.

The only way to make this work with sqlplus if you want to primarily use
Mintty as your terminal is to spawn a cmd window for sqlplus to run in:

cygstart "$(which sqlplus)" risingp1@CTIBETA2

I think that should work for you, but I haven't tested it.

-Jeremy