Re: nodosfilewarning not working

On 10/13/2010 1:58 AM, Autotoonz wrote:
Christopher Faylor-8 wrote:
If you mean that batch file 1 sets the CYGWIN environment variable and
then directly runs batch file 2, then that works too.  That's how
environment variables work - once you set an environment variable it is
inherited by all subsequent processes unless the process goes out of its
way to reset it.
Yeah that's what I meant - batch file 1 sets env variable and then calls
batch file 2.
And you are correct - env variables set in the parent DOS process are
inherited by child DOS processes.
So now I'm stumped as to what caused my original problem, because I spent
about one hour checking and re-checking that my DOS set command was correct
(ie: set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning) and then googling for clues.
Unfortunately I cannot repeat the fault, so I'm going to have to put this
down to a typo on my part. If I hadn't found the original unsolved problem
posted on this forum then I guess that I would have isolated what caused
this instead of assuming that there was a bug.
Thanks for your help Chris,
cheers.

DOS 'setx' in batch file "A" will affect all subsequently invoked batch files from outside "A".
Is this what you did? 'setx' can also be invoked from shell scripts but still only impacts
subsequently invoked shells. In both cases, the results obtain even after reboot.

The GUI way to invoke these "environmental variables is:

Control Panel (Classic View) / System / Advanced Systems Settings / Environment Variables / ...