Re: git stopped working with 1.7.1

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 02:24:05PM -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:

>> I notice it is still broken (as of last week when I updated to the
>> latest versions of everything and tested it).
>>
>> Any further news on when will be fixed?
>>
>> As for it not being a show-stopper for you, I just want to point out
>> that there are many of us out here that do not have the luxury of
>> switching to HTTP cloning when this fails.  So, for us, it's a
>> show-stopper that requires us to use putty to use git at all.
>>
>I came up with a way to reproduce this if a developer wanted to try and
>fix it.
>
>That post can be seen here:
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-07/msg00506.html
>
>git/ssh on cygwin are pretty much broken at this point...

And, when I tried this, it pointed to an actual problem in git rather than
a problem in Cygwin so that limits what is meant by "developer".

Isn't git normally used for source control management by programmers?
If this is such a bad problem why isn't one of those programmers looking
into it and proposing a fix?  That's one of the reasons for free
software - you can fix the problems yourself.

And, before someone inevitably opines that I'm just being mean, I have
to point out that this really is how many open source projects work.
People who are not maintainers actually do propose fixes.

cgf