Re: Security Warning: Re: Behaviours of Terminal Versus Script when using "<<"

On 16.09.2010 09:59, delbydev wrote:
Hello Thomas

Noted and already accounted for
... almost; the security hole has changed to a very tiny one with your new script;
however, somebody spying on you and monitoring your login multiple times could still be lucky to catch the parameters of "echo".
By any strategy of security, this needs to be strictly avoided.
You could instead just edit that file manually once.
Or, if you need to generate it, use the inline input approach (using "<<", where we are meeting your original problem, but the context is more straightforward).
------
Thomas

- was just avoiding confusing the actual issue

The way I approach this is as follows
Create a directory e.g. .myconns in my home directory with 700 chmod
permission
In my .profile (or equivalent)

export SQLORACLE"=${ORACLE_HOME}\\bin\\sqlplus.exe -s /NOLOG " export CONNHOME=${HOME}/.myconns REPCONNFILE=${CONNHOME}/.connrep.sql; echo conn myuser/mypass@mydbhost> ${REPCONNFILE} chmod 600 ${REPCONNFILE} export mydbconn="${SQLORACLE} @${REPCONNFILE}";

so in the .myconns directory is the connection string - the /NOLOG switch
prevents sqlplus from actually trying to connect from the shell command
level. the relevant connection is picked up in the REPCONNFILE

so a ps will only ever show the value (path) of the REPCONNFILE
so I can reuse new existing database darter