Re: likely stupid question but name conflicts with foo and foo.exe?

On 9/8/10, Corinna Vinschen <> wrote:
> On Sep  7 09:00, mike marchywka wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to copy of bunch of files from debian over to windoze using scp
>> -r.
>> This was working fine except for one error where it complains foo is
>> not a directory
>> and apparently I have foo and foo.exe in one dir but foo is a directory.
>
> This is by design.  foo.exe is recognized as foo to allow to start apps
> without the dreaded suffix.  Since Cygwin 1.7.0, foo and foo.exe are
> treated as identical.  You can't have a dir "foo" and a file "foo" in
> the same directory, and that extends to "foo", "foo.exe", and "foo.lnk",
> the latter only if it's a Cygwin symlink of the shortcut type.

Well, I think my original problem was foo.exe and a directory foo both
in same dir. I guess there could be issues with case too - foo and Foo.
But, you did make a conscious design decision to treat exe special?
This wouldn't be an absurd naming convention in real life however, app the dir
and app.exe that uses it.