Re: How does one change the default shell?

On 09/03/2010 09:52 AM, Paul McFerrin wrote:

How about the obvious....Change the shell listed in the /etc/passwd file for the affected user. I for years had pdksh as my default shell. Yes, I was a long time AT&Ter, where the ksh was invented.

Quit top-posting, and http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#YSHFRTT

The OP already made it clear that changing /etc/password was not what he meant (that only changes your interactive shell), rather he was asking how to make /bin/sh be pdksh instead of bash (for all scripts, so that an arbitrary script ./foo can use pdksh features).

If a shell script starts with a #! line, then that's the shell that will be used, regardless of the user's /etc/passwd shell or the current setting of $SHELL. And if a shell script does not start with a #! line, then it will be executed with /bin/sh, again regardless of /etc/passwd or $SHELL. So the only way to change the equation is to change /bin/sh, or to use an appropriate #! line in all affected scripts. Personally, I find #! the more robust option (just like I recommend that you should use #!/bin/bash if you intend on using a bash feature, rather than blindly relying on the fact that /bin/sh defaults to bash in cygwin).