Re: Fwd: Windows File permissions are not being inherited - Cygwin 1.7 - Windows 7

On 2 September 2010 03:08, Vasya Pupkin wrote:
> Because I prefer to keep things under control

Oh $DEITY.

> And I don't think it
> will require a huge amount of work to disable working with permissions
> in setup.exe with command line switch. I started to worry about it
> because cygwin failed so much with permissions, having both
> cygwin-specific and inherited ones (copied) at the same time,
> resulting in complete mess.

That appears to be a mess of your own making. Otherwise, concrete bug
reports please. The OP's complaint here was that permissions aren't
inherited, so I've got no idea what you're on about.

> A non-privileged user could modify cygwin
> configuration files in /etc and it was not possible to do something
> about it.

Well, I don't know what you did, but I install Cygwin as administrator
and work as an ordinary user, and no, I can't modify anything in /etc.
And that's no accident of course, because a lot of work has gone into
mapping POSIX permissions to NTFS permissions in a sensible way.

Andy

ps: Please don't top-post. http://www.cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU