Keyboard issue: unresponsive keystroke

Hello all,

I've used the US-International keyboard layout for ages without issues.
Recently, I fired cygwin and noticed the "s" key was unresponsive.
Restarting Vista didn't help.
Changing to standard US layout before starting Cygwin didn't help.
Restarting Cygwin didn't help.
Scrapping the Cygwin directory (admittedly not the preferred
uninstalling procedure) and re-doing the setup with a fresh setup.exe
didn't help.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks, Eric