Re: How/Where do I get an older version of Cygwin?

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Charles Wilson wrote:

On 8/27/2010 7:05 PM, Peter A. Castro wrote:
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Andy Koppe wrote:
Question: would anyone miss the "Prev" button if it were to disappear?

Yes, I, for one, would miss it. While it may give a "random collection of old packages", for packages that are actively maintained it does give you the ability to revert to the previous version that is/was working when the "current" version either does not do what you want or, in some cases, breaks what you already had working. For that reason alone, the "Prev" has value.

Peter, I think you're misinterpreting Andy's proposal. He's not talking about the ability to click on the 'spinner' icon, to cycle thru various versions of a specific package. He's talking about the 'Prev' radio button, which can have VERY unexpected results.

Hmm....I had taken it to mean complete removal of all "prev" functionality, spinner and all. So, if that's not what was proposed, then I'd say:

"never mind"

(*sigh* that's what I get for not taking time to fully read every single
email)

It reverts EVERY package that you have installed to the prev version of
that package -- not just a single package whose current version may be
giving you temporary difficulties.

Yes, I'm aware of that (and I have used exactly that functionality on occasion to interesting results, I'll admit), but was taking the wrong meaning of the proposal. My mistake.

I suppose there's not a lot of sense in keeping "Prev", then.

I retract my objection.

(I'll go back to mumbling in the corner now :)

Thanks, Chuck!

--
Chuck

-- Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com> "Cats are just autistic Dogs" -- Dr. Tony Attwood